Small by modern standards, but still useful:
https://www.howtogeek.com/the-smallest-linux-distro-thats-actually-worth-using-in-2026/
"When searching for a tiny distro, I looked at four things: download size, installed size, idle RAM, and how much time it took to do "normal" things."
"While the Standard and Extended ISOs are notably larger because they have more modules and firmware included, Alpine is still about an order of magnitude smaller than Ubuntu Server.
Critically, you get a normal package manager (APK) with a pretty robust repo to pull from. It isn't as extensive as what you get while running Debian, but it is more than enough."
"Alpine supports nearly every major architecture out there, including x86_64, aarch64, riscv64, and loongarch64. You can run GNOME, KDE Plasma, Xfce, Sway, and even System76’s COSMIC if you want a modern desktop.
I'm partial to KDE Plasma or XFCE depending on the hardware I'm working with."
"The biggest inconvenience I run into is compatibility issues with musl. Many apps, including many prebuilt binaries, like games, Electron apps, or proprietary drivers, assume you're using glibc (the C library found on most larger Linux distros.)
There are a few ways to get around it, like gcompat or Flatpaks, but you will encounter some apps that just won't run. In general, I haven't found it to be a significant problem."
No comments:
Post a Comment