Friday, February 5, 2021

Rack & Pinion upgrade for 1964 Falcon

Budget Rack & Pinion upgrade for 1964 Falcon Ranchero:
64 Falcon steering upgrades.. On A Budget.  https://www.fordmuscleforums.com/threads/64-falcon-steering-upgrades-on-a-budget.526769/
"Upgrading to 65 falcon or mustang steering can make big difference in the handling. Just make sure you use the falcon center link not one from a mustang. If you still want power steering either find a complete ford ps setup or consider a Borgeson steering box. Either setup will still need a pump."
"My 64 has original power. After rebuilding with all new upper and lower arms, poly spring perches, global west stiffer strut bushings, new springs, shocks, etc. I didn't rebuild the steering box or power ram unit as they seemed OK.The car tracks straight, has minimal dead spot at center. All those suspension parts did help. You might like it that way. You will need the ram assy., PS center link, idler arm and Pitman (I think) and inner PS tie rods . Your box is probably 19/1 ratio. PS boxes are 16/1, not sure if you need to change it. After a few months of driving mine , I've decided to switch to 65 falcon manual steering. I just can't feel the road. Ill probably sell my parts when done.They come up on CL and E bay often. I'm keeping the 16/1 box, I'm going with A 65 center link from falcon parts.com, inner and outer tie rods Moog, Pittman from 67 PS stang, and the roller idler arm from open tracker, which will make the manual easier to steer. Plus a bunch of positive caster. I have it at 3 degrees now, the wheel goes right back to center. I'm currently purchasing part a few at a time as I wont feel the pain. Last fall I did the suspension, next the steering. Collect parts bit by bit, just do your homework so you don't buy the wrong parts. Buy quality, or you will regret it. There are some good threads on this here, do a search. "
"I have a 65 Falcon with the manual steering. It has a smaller steering wheel than the stock wheel. I also have 215-45-17 tires on the front. It is a hand full parking.I plan to switch to the CCP power steering kit in the near future. From what I've read the CCP steering box is smaller than the other steering boxes out there.I hope it will help clear the tube headers that are on my car. From what I've read it will clear the headers"
...
1964 Falcon Power Steering Options:  https://www.fordmuscleforums.com/threads/1964-falcon-power-steering-options.494294/
"... My 64 falcon came with power steering and the 6/cy engine.When I changed to a v/8,there was a spindle change to granada disk brakes. I bought a used 64 v/8 power unit and the granada outer tie rod ends worked on the power unit. If I were doing it again I would look for a 65 power unit ,as the center link is a one piece part and is still being produced. The 65 is a direct fit on the 64 if you use all 65 parts. The 64 center link is a two part unit and is obsolete ,hard and expensive to get parts for. The 64 three bolt idler arm is obsolete and very expensive. Falcons came with a different steering gear ratio for power, but I think you will be okay as your manual has more turns lock to lock. It's when you remove a power unit and use it as a manual it is harder to turn but faster as there are less turns lock to lock. you can get a new steering gear ,power or manual at ' Ford Falcon Parts - FalconParts.com '. I don't know about the maverik, I don't think it will work , a mustang won't "
"There's a variety of Mustang rack kits out there and dimensionally a '64 is going to be similar to a '65-66 Mustang, but once again you need to consider oil-pan clearance if it's a six and you may encounter other clearance issues as well.
Another alternative would be an integral-assist power box, from Borgeson or ABS Power Brake.
Whatever you do you'll be doing some fabrication on the bottom end of the steering column."

Cheap Rack-in-pinion conversion:  https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/cheap-rack-in-pinion-conversion.785303/
"I've got my homebrew rack and pinion just about sorted out. I used a rack off of a 1992 Chevy Cavalier. Total cost so far $233.93. Projected total cost about $360.

From the beginning of my 1970 Fastback project I knew that I didn't want to deal with the factory power steering system with it's leaks, on-center deadspot, wandering, etc. I also didn't want to pay the high price of the store bought rack systems. Besides, I like to build stuff and decided I could do it myself. So I did.

First let me say that some of this design is my own and some is based on websites and pictures of other designs. I haven't driven the car yet, so it isn't road tested. I have no doubt in my mind that it will work, but I want everyone to be aware of the facts. I think that anyone that has some fabrication skill and can weld can build this system pretty easily

The first step was to decide on which rack to use and off of which car. I knew I wanted a power rack and had to deal with the mustang rear steer system. A little internet hunting revealed that the GM rack and pinions used on cars like the Beretta and Cavalier was not only a good candidate, but has been used on the Mustang and is the basis for some of the store bought systems. I called up my local junkyard and they pulled a rack for me complete with the mounting straps.

I then went about figuring out how to mount the rack. I decided to mount it like a website that I found that has since disappeared. I think that design is now being sold as the Steeroids system and mine is similar with a few differences. I had to pay attention to the angles that the u-joints would have to make to hook from the steering column to the rack. I also had to disassemble the steering column to shorten it. I then made the driver side bracket which is just a piece of steel angle and 2 pieces of steel flat stock. It took a few tries with modifications to the bracket to get the u-joints to work smoothly. After mounting this bracket and making sure the rack was level and ran straight side to side, I fabricated the passenger side bracket which is a piece of angle and a piece of flat stock.

All that remained was to get it hooked to the spindles. I decided that I didn't want to mess with the factory steering geometry and thought that it would be rather convenient to just use the stock tie rods and center link. I cut the center link just outboard of the inner tie rod mount and positioned it where the factory system put it. Then I made a bracket that bolted on to the rack and welded the center link to it.

The system works smoothly. The last items I need to do are finish weld the brackets, trim some excess from them, paint them and either make or have made some power steering hoses that will mate the factory pump to the rack. If I make some hoses using AN fittings and hose they will cost me about $125 more than what I have already spent bringing the total to about $360.

All that I don't know is whether headers will clear. I figure since my setup is similar to the Steeroids system, the header limitations will be similar. I plan to use shorties or mid-length myself, but I have some long tube headers that I will give a trial fit. BTW my engine is a 351W.

Here is what I have spent so far:

Steering U-joints and DD shaft - $178.80 (Summit)
3/4" ball bearing - $4.63 (for steering column)
Steel for brackets - $5.00 (from local fabricator's junk pile)
Misc bolts and nuts - $3.00 (hardware store)
Salvage yard Rack - 42.50"
There are pictures in the linked article.


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Commercial offerings:
https://www.summitracing.com/search/part-type/rack-and-pinion-steering-conversion-kits/year/1964/make/ford  ($1,7100 +)
https://www.summitracing.com/search/year/1964/product-line/flaming-river-1960-65-comet-falcon-power-rack-and-pinion-cradle-kits

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/shop/1964-ford-falcon-rack-and-pinion-steering~65782-1964-54-2101-1-949-15-557

http://totalcontrolproducts.com/rack.html  (Falcon; 1960-1965, $1,685 +) - https://www.cachassisworks.com/p-1877-mustang-64-70-fordmercury-60-70-manual-rack-and-pinion-for-oem-steering-column.aspx

https://www.unisteer.com/collections/rack-pinions/products/1960-65-ford-falcon-comet-power-rack-pinion-kit-black ($1,490 +)
"Unisteer's Falcon / Comet Power Kit uses a rear steer traditional style rack & pinion that has been machined down to match the stock suspension of the Falcons.
...
Installs on these cars have been done with stock manifolds or Hooker Super Comp Headers. Other headers may work with modification. Tri-Y style headers do not work. This kit works with V8 motors and floor shifters. This kit will not work with the factory column shifter, but it will work with an aftermarket column shifter.
...
Cars with Granada spindles will NOT work!"

https://www.hotrodhardware.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=results/category_id=1201/mode=cat/cat1201.htm
Has Granada Spindle option for Mustangs, but not Falcons!
https://www.hotrodhardware.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=8374/category_id=1201/mode=prod/prd8374.htm
Note: We have run into cars with Granada spindles, and this kit will NOT work with those spindles.

Pedders Power Steering Rack Range:  https://www.pedders.com.au/catalogue/power-steering-racks/ford/falcon/ - Australia

https://www.flamingriver.com/rack-and-pinion/fr301pwnc-1960-65-comet/falcon-power-rack-and-pinion-cradle-kit-no-column  ($2,361. +)
    All new Billet-Power™ Rack and Pinion
    Rack and Pinion Cradle System
    All Mounting Hardware required for installation
    Wiring Connector
    Universal Joints and Shafts
    Power Steering Pump and Pulley
    Aluminum Mounting Reservoir


Randalls Rack and Pinion (site is under maintenance - 877-500-7225):  https://www.carsandstripes.com/directory/randalls-rack-and-pinion.html
How To: Install Randall's Rack-and-Pinion on 1965-1970 Mustangs:  https://engineswapdepot.com/?p=1649
Randall's Rack Vs. Steeroids Vs. Unisteer power racks:  https://www.vintage-mustang.com/threads/randalls-rack-vs-steeroids-vs-unisteer-power-racks.585802/
Modern Conversions for Old Mustangs (lots of choices listed!): http://www.nzmustang.com/Newintoold/newintoold.htm



No comments: