Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Review: Ford Escape SUV

While the dealer is working on my truck, they loaned me a 2008 Ford Escape, Ford's smallest SUV. This one has the XLT trim package, 2WD (FWD), and a 3.0-liter V6 engine. I'm impressed as I can get my large frame into it easily and get everything adjusted to my needs. Unlike the 2006 Explorer I had on a previous visit, everything falls readily to hand, is easily identified and is easy to use, with the lone exception being that I have to unbuckle the seat-belt to reach the parking / emergency brake release. After adjusting the seat, I just got in and drove it, no learning curve required.

Note: Ford went off-track with the 2006 Explorer - the door handles were concealed in the armrests, the turn signal stalk was 45 degrees up from horizontal, and other controls were changed more for aesthetic than functional reasons. A friend in Fords sales agrees that it was a problem.

The Escape's V6 is quiet and has plenty of pep. The suspension and brakes seem very competent, more like a good car than an SUV. Being small with almost no markings, the adjustable mirror knob is difficult to interpret the first time, but after that, it is quite intuitive and convenient. The stereo sounds nice - I was able to select radio stations & adjust the sound with little difficulty, but anyone wanting to upgrade to an after-market unit would have to find adapter panels - Ford's radio appears to be integrated into the dash with some other controls.

There were some minor quibbles - the clock washes out in the noon sun, and the previously mentioned parking brake issue, but overall this seems like a very good vehicle. I believe this is also available with 4WD, and as a hybrid, so someone looking for one of those could add the Escape to their list of vehicles to examine.

Here are some other reviews I found:
Automobile Magazine
Edmunds
Samarins

No comments: