Thursday, March 20, 2008

More music options at work

This morning I'm listening to a couple of CDs from home, but the CDs are still there. I was surprised how easy Windows Media Player 9 made it to rip music from the CDs and Synch it to a little USB thumbdrive.

Once I got to work, I inserted the thumbdrive, and windows offered to play the music right away. The sound quality seems nearly as good as when I play CDs on the work computer.

The ripped music takes less space than I imagined - I have 2 albums on my Memorex 1Gb TravelDrive, and I still have over 800 Mb left for files, pictures, etc.

I realize I'm not breaking any new ground here - I've known this could be done for years, but it was always easy enough to bring in CDs. Now that I'm in the habit of carrying a thumbdrive everywhere, I decided to give it a try.

I realize 1/2 the world carries iPODs or other MP3 players, but that is just one more thing to add to the pile in my pockets. The thumbdrive fits on a keyring and is always with me (it is on a ring with a Swiss Army knife and a Red Cross CPR Key Chain).

If a post-middle-aged babyboomer can do it, you can to - give it a try . . .

1 comment:

Adrian said...

After several months in my pants pocket, the Thumbdrive finally broke. Given the current cost of 1Gb drives, this isn't exactly a crisis. If my CDs were stolen from my desk, I would be out many times as much money.