Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Pre-Order Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade: $49.99

The most reliable PCs in our house run Windows XP SP-3. We skipped Vista, but at this price, I think I'll upgrade a couple of them to Windows 7.
Update - the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor ran for hours before I canceled it - maybe I'll pass on Win-7 until I get a new system after all.

Note that this price is only good until 11 July, 2009.

Windows 7 Home Premium Pre-Order, $49.99 Upgrade, $199.99 Full | PCMech:
" . . . if you pre-order Windows 7 as an upgrade, the Home Premium Edition (which is what most people would go for) is just a tick under $50."

1 comment:

Adrian said...

Elder Brother:
What's your take on the pro/con of this upgrade? (I would be looking at putting the Pro version on 3 computers ...) I'm skeptical, and still leaning to stay with XP, but the price is good.
Jul 3, 2009

Me:
Pro - Win XP is getting a bit out of date - soon we'll be seeing software that only works with Vista and up - there are already HP printers that require Vista.
Win-7 seems to be Vista with lots of the consumer complaints taken into account (cleaned up & debugged).
Win-7 is supposed to make home networking even easier (I currently have 2 XP systems that share a mouse & K/B on my network via Synergy, but can't share files over the same network).
Fewer Blue Screen of Death failures.

Con - paying for more Microsoft intrusions into my systems.
Bleeding edge - some hardware drivers probably not available, and it probably consumes more memory and disk space than XP (a neighbor has a new system that is completely overwhelmed by Vista - she needs a downgrade to XP, but hasn't the knowledge or $ to do it.).